Purchased by the ESU in 1926, Dartmouth House is one of the most notable properties in Mayfair
Dartmouth House is currently recognised as one of the most sought after meetings and events venues in London – a reputation we are truly proud of – and has an interesting history.
Dartmouth House was purchased by the English-Speaking Union for the sum of £ 45,000 from the Hon. Mrs Robert Lindsay in 1926, and formally opened as the London Headquarters by the then Prime Minister, Sir Stanley Baldwin, on the 22nd February 1927.
Originally two buildings, numbers 37 and 38 and built in the 1750s, the first owner was the Marchionesses of Carnarvon 1757 – 1776. Edward Charles Baring bought both properties in 1870 and on his creation as Lord Revelstoke (1st Baron Revelstoke of Membland) in 1885, he converted the two houses into one to house his collection of Louis IV furniture and art.
By 1893 the crisis at Barings Bank had curtailed expenditure on No. 37 and all building and design work ceased. Many of Lord Revelstoke’s furnishings and objects d’art had to be sold at auction, although he continued to live here until his death in 1897. Lord Dartmouth (6th Earl of Dartmouth) was the next owner and the most significant changes to the interior of the house took place in 1900, with the creation of the Long and Small Drawing Rooms. No. 37 was the Dartmouth family home until the outbreak of war in 1914, when it was used by the British Red Cross as a military hospital.
Sold again in 1918 to the Hon. Mrs Robert Lindsay it was then purchased by the English-Speaking Union in 1926.
The building is now listed Grade II* (a building of national importance) and is mentioned in many London guidebooks for its fantastic façade.